Friday, August 21, 2026

Magazines that died

So recently there was the passing of  arts + culture magazines The Face and 4Columns (both of which I had written for)

And then came the announcement of the acquisition / gutting of a bunch of music magazines by some horrible company – among them Alternative Press (which I once wrote for, a long time ago) and Goldmine

That was followed by a lament about the eroding future of music journalism as a full-time career from Jill Mapes at Hearing Things...  a piece much commented on elsewhere

So all this got me thinking in a downbeat sort of way about all the English-language popular music publications that expired during my professional life - i.e 1986 onwards.

I decided to make a list of the deceased (some theories of list-making say it’s a way of warding off the spectre of death!).

In what follows, I've been fairly thorough -  but rather negligent when it comes to the specialist end of things (country, soul, reggae, jazz etc …  I’ve also left out all the completely technical/musicians/recording type mags... and the music-biz trade papers… I'm strictly thinking about places that do criticism and interviews (Not that those are totally absent from the aforementioned categories but it's not their main thing). Actually another category left out is scholarly journals and academic publications. 

When it comes to the hazy dividing line between magazine and fanzine (or website versus collective blog)…. Well, I’ve been hazy about it: going really with the appearance of professionalism, regularity of output, and the possibility that some kind of payment to writers might be going on (even if not the case). Sort of, if it feels like a magazine, then it's a magazine.

But I've also let in quite a few publications that are not primarily music but had dedicated music sections or regular music criticism: Village Voice (however I’ve not listed all the alternative weeklies elsewhere in the USA),  certain general interest magazines; the UK style bibles; some art magazines.  However I haven't bothered to include national or city newspapers that have substantial, persistent, often high quality music coverage - New York Times, The Guardian, The Observer, Wall Street Journal, etc. It's just too big a can of worms, really. 

My purview is pretty much limited to the U.K. and U.S.A., so in terms of the Anglophonosphere I’m doubtless missing Canadian, Australian and New Zealand magazines of note.  

I suppose if any kind of instinct has governed this, it’s that I’ve gone here with magazines that I could

A/ conceivably have picked up and read

B/ conceivably found myself writing for in some circumstance.

Now there’s one or two magazines I distinctly remember but I simply cannot summon their name and attempts to Google creatively have come up with nothing… it’s really nagging at me! So I invite you tell me the ones I’ve missed, indicating whether they are still with us or not. 

Also tell me if  I have misfiled a publication, i.e. it's not dead but actually still around or it's not around, actually dead. (Before you get agitated though, I should say there is a separate section for Historic Titles - magazines that lived and died before I could have conceivably contributed to them).

Oh yes - I have also indicated the ones I have written for with an asterisk

Update - “Added:” indicates where I have added a title suggested by someone in comments.

 

MUSIC MAGAZINES NO LONGER WITH US

 

Melody Maker *

The Word *

Muzik *

Request *

Pulse! *

Lime Lizard

The Lizard *

Blender *

City Limits *

Details *

Red Bull Music Academy / Daily Note *

20/20 *

Loops *

Pitchfork Review  *

Volume *

Stylus *

eMusic *

Observer Music Monthly *

Arena*

The Face *

4Columns *

ZigZag

Smash Hits

New Society

Sounds

Record Mirror

Jockey Slut

Q

Select

Vox

Number One

Underground

Raw

Terrorizer

Blitz

New Sounds, New Styles

Collusion

Careless Talk Costs Lives

URB

Option

Puncture

Flipside

Plan B

ZG

Monitor

Ray Gun

Terrorizer

Arthur

Grand Royal

Ego Trip

Forced Exposure

The Rocket

The Herb Garden

Dummy

Deuce

Mondo 2000

Signal to Noise

Strange Things

Vague

Jamming

XLR8R

Heavy Metal (for Lou Stathis's rok column)

added: The Stool Pigeon

added: Motorbooty

added; Reflex

added: Rage

added: Indie-cator

added; The Catalogue

added: CMJ

added: Maggot Brain

added: Trouser Press

added: The Bob

added: Punk Planet

added: Your Flesh

added: Bucketfull of Brains

added: Mess+Noise (Australia)




Then to cheer us all up, I have listed publications that are still with us – starting with a couple of subcategories: the died but resurrected and those of uncertain ontological status (existing in some kind of hibernating or vestigial purely archival mode with some faint talk of reactivation)

 

RESURRECTED

Creem

Added: Hit Parader 


UNCERTAIN ONTOLOGICAL STATUS 

Village Voice *

Alternative Press *

Goldmine

BrooklynVegan

Tiny Mix Tapes

International Times


MUSIC MAGAZINES STILL WITH US


Pitchfork *

The Wire *

Mojo *

Uncut *

Spin *

The Quietus *

Rolling Stone *

Tidal *

iD *

New Statesman *

NPR music *

FACT *

Disco Pogo *

Frieze *

Time Out *

Artforum *

Electronic Beats *

Resident Advisor  *

Slate *

Salon *

NME

Vibe *

Clash

Drowned in Sound

Vice / Noisey *

The Stranger

Hearing Things

Mixmag

DJ

The Source

Decibel

Record Collector

Electronic Sound

The Fader

Hot Press

Kerrang!

Magnet

Metal Hammer

Shindig!

Wax Poetics

XXL

XLR8

Bandcamp

Straight No Chaser

Aquarium Drunkard

Big Takeover

Billboard

Complex

Louder Than War

No Depression

GQ style *

Oxford American

Paste

Revolver

Rock Sound

Stereogum

Dazed & Confused *

No Bells

Toneglow

Moonbuilding

Tape Op

Prog

The Skinny

Vive le Rock

Artrocker

Nylon

added: MaximumRocknRoll

added: Ugly Things

Added: Relix 

Added:  Chickfactor 

Added: Echoes

Added: Dusted 

Added; Far Out Magazine

Added: Pop Matters


I was pleasantly surprised how many there are still with us… 

 

HISTORIC TITLES 


Crawdaddy

Let It Rock

Cream (UK)

Disc & Music Echo

Rave

Cheetah

Phonograph Review

Street Life

Fusion

Oz

Friends/Frendz

Who Put the Bomp

Slash

New York Rocker

Rock Scene

Synapse

Audion

Changes

added: Circus

added: Flexipop

added: Rip It Up (New Zealand)

added: RAM (Australia)


(there's many more here I'm sure)

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 


Of course this is just the English language… one thing I have found in my travels is that every country seems to have its own equivalents to Greil Marcus or Nick Kent…. or indeed much younger examples.   

Estonia… Argentina… Germany… Italy… France… Portugal… Scandinavia… Spain… Poland...  pretty much everywhere I've been, there's a bunch of people, at varying ages,  who are operating at a high discursive level, and generally are aware of what’s going in the English music writing world. It’s an embarrassingly one-way transmission– they read us, but we can’t read them, and it does makes you feel like a hegemon.   They have their own local equivalents of NME and Rolling Stone (in some cases an actual version of Rolling Stone - like Rolling Stone Italia) and Pitchfork.   Like Spex in Germany. In other cases, the serious criticism is going on in newspapers or arts magazines.

But back to the main melancholy topic.... and faint thoughts of cheer 

It is encouraging that people are still putting out print magazines, that there are clusterings of energy around webzines… I hope it carries on…

(I can tell you, though, from my experience spending regular time in the company of young music lovers, a/k/a students, that the reading of criticism is a vanishing pursuit. There is a combo of shattered attention spans and a reflexive distrust of expertise... I would say that for many of the young they would rather take seriously the opinion of some completely random person on Reddit or wherever, than an accredited authority figure )

But music criticism, music journalism - there's still some demand out there for it. 

Perhaps the action has shifted to books now - there seems to be an ongoing explosion of serious music books, and thank God for that (although I have also heard that it's a bubble caused by a demographic reaching a certain age and wanting to deepen the passions of their adolescence / youth... and that when this demographic dies out, or its brains turn to mush, this too will pass). Still, for now at least, it is a thriving area, as much as any area of non-fiction could be said to be thriving. People want to do it, some people still want to read it. 

Music books are great... I love to read them, Lord knows I love to write 'em. If it wasn't so exhausting, and practical logistics weren't involved, I would have churned out twice as many by now. 

But there is something about the ephemerality of music journalism that produces a lighter kind of writing, or at least, one that is nimbler, fleet of foot, less hung up on evidence or research, and above all with less eye on posterity…. 

And curiously this makes it actually more worthy of posterity, or at least being de-ephemeralized.

Which is the point of this blog – to take little bursts of mental energy, spurts of language frolic, mischief, thinking aloud… things that have been lost in the Heraclitan river of newsprint…  now and again blogprint or netprint… but mostly ink-on-paper... and pull them back out of oblivion

Rock’s Back Pages* is doing that – God’s own work! – but in not as individually curated a way, by which I mean that sometimes I talk back to these pieces, or try to connect them to current concerns.


* I was recently in the offices of RBP to be on their podcast, and it's a music-mag nut's paradise in there. The walls are covered with neatly organized compartments for vintage music papers, they also have an impressive library of rock books. There were quite a few periodicals I'd never seen or heard of decorating the walls, including a Monitor quite different from the Monitor I was involved with... 

25 comments:

  1. Melody Maker - at least during the 92-95 period I religiously read it - can stand with any of those titles.

    What a wonderful paper it was at its peak. The most consistently great music journalism of its time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you will get no disagreement from me there...

      Delete
  2. There was a short run UK magazine back in the early '90s called Indie-cator https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1739008207/indiecator-1992-1993-uk-independent

    And another called Rage (I think it was edited by Gary Crowley). There's an image of it if you scroll down here: https://www.testpressing.org/magazine/test-pressing-in-conversationbill-brewster-frank-broughton

    Reflex Magazine looked fairly professional too, not a zine
    https://www.facebook.com/reflexmagnyc/

    Not sure if Maximumrocknroll counts (think it was monthly or bi-monthly- it still exists as an online publication of course).

    CMJ and Rockpool I guess were industry tipsheets, but CMJ at least featured a lot of criticism, in-depth features and reviews.

    (PS you've added both The Quietus and Bandcamp twice to the list of extant magazines)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice sub-editing catch there.

      Your list reminded me of a publication that apparently came out in the late '80s that I never once saw, a monthly covering Maker-type music called Underground, with ex-Sounds man Dave Henderson at the helm.

      Delete
    2. Underground sounds interesting, never heard of that one. Was thinking with a name like that it might prove difficult to find copies online but I can see quite a few for sale on ebay. Will give it a try!

      Thought of some more magazines:

      Bucketful Of Brains

      The Bob
      https://www.rocksbackpages.com/Library/Publication/bob%2C-the

      Punk Planet
      https://dansinker.com/posts/2024-10-30-ppy6/

      Your Flesh (professional looking, lots of contributors, published 3 or 4 times a year iirc)

      Chickfactor (always felt more like a mag than a zine to me)

      Still with us:

      Echoes (switched to monthly these days)

      Dusted (at least it seems to be- albeit in drastically curtailed tumblr form)
      https://www.tumblr.com/dustedmagazine

      Historic titles:

      Flexipop

      Delete
    3. Oh just remembered it's two LLs in Bucketfull of Brains.

      Delete
    4. Looks like Chickfactor's still around too, sort of. Last print copy in 2022, occasionally updated website
      https://www.chickfactor.com

      Delete
    5. Yes, Underground was the first Indie/Alt Music title I ever bought, from a local newsagent in Manchester. I must have been about 13/14 so it would have been 85/86-ish, which puts it right in the middle of the Bad Music Era, and I'm pretty sure the main feature was on Stump. It had a grey cover as I recall, and had a fanzine-ish vibe about it. It was short-lived but it put me on to indie music and thence to Melody Maker, so has a lot to answer for...

      Delete
  3. Maggot Brain was a Third Man periodical for several years up until just recently, the only one I would still regularly purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggot Brain reminds me of Motorbooty which was definitely a professional looking if not regularly scheduled magazine.

      Delete
  4. I think Chunklet is still around, but with their erratic publishing schedule who really knows.

    Hermenaut always made at least a little room for music, though I guess it was more about pop culture at large.

    Not meaning to pad the Historic category, but mention should be made here of Circus, which I always saw as the Cracked to Creem's Mad magazine.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Circus, you are right.

      I don't think I've heard of Chunklet

      Delete
  5. Again on the historic tip - though I've never actually seen a copy in the wild (which is odd since I'm very familiar with their record guides) Trouser Press published a magazine throughout the punk/new wave era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes a heinous omission on my part especially given they've just published an anthology of TP writing

      Delete
  6. Oh, Ugly Things is still going strong, continually churning out long-form pieces all things garage/psych/freakbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hit Parader magazine had a heyday in the 70's as a sort of also-ran to Creem and Circus, a decent span in the 80's when Lisa Robinson was the editor, ultimately died in the aughts but came back both in print and online last year so probably another one for the Back From The Dead list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Relix is still very much alive, apparently the second longest continuously-published US music rag after Rolling Stone.

    Pour one out for Propaganda, though, which lit a candle for goth music/subculture until 2002.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can remember buying the first edition of “Underground” in WH Smith at the Brent Cross Shopping Centre in North London, probably around 1986. There was a bit of a disconnect buying what was basically a fanzine (as supported by Spotlight Publications) in this huge Ballardian shrine to capital. But that was what was so brilliant about the UK music press in that wherever you were in the UK, you could pop into a newsagent and pick up one of the weekly “inkies” and plunge straight into a completely otherworld of non mainstream culture.

    I also remember picking up imported copies of “Your Flesh” and “Forced Exposure” in the London Rough Trade shops in the mid 90s. Copies would appear at random and in really limited supplies so you always had to keep an eye out for them. The idea of setting up a subscription to either publication was completely beyond me (paying via International money orders seemed like too much hassle and really does belong to another age). Oh, the joys of the analog world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A couple more late '00s / early '10s(?) paper publications to add to the RIP list:

    The Stool Pigeon
    Artrocker

    I'm not sure whether Maximum Rock n Roll technically makes the list, as I believe they were staffed by volunteers and thus didn't pay anybody(?), but nonetheless - it was a huge part of the punk subculture which used to exist, and now doesn't, so feels like it should be there in spirit at least.

    Also, this post has reminded me of this massive (300+ page plus) professionally produced American indie-rock type mag which I used to buy on import in Borders back in the early '00s.... writing was a bit dry / functional, but it was basically just page after page of interviews / reviews covering every independent label signed band going in that era, so was useful at the time just to absorb info from. But, I can't for the life of me remember what it was called! Anyone else remember this....?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nylon is still around. They went digital-only about 10 years ago but recently have begun biannual print editions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My social media feed just fed me a link to Steve Albini's favorite 20 songs from a slick-looking UK-based entity called Far Out Magazine, so I guess that's another for the Still With Us set.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Viz used to have a pop page, where placement in its chart depended on how much money they'd received.
    By the by, Viz dedicated one of its annuals to Mark E. Smith, as he was apparently the first person to say that Viz was "not as funny as it used to be."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hot Press still going here and with same editor since 1977, Niall Stokes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry, I see you’ve listed it above!

    ReplyDelete