Friday, August 21, 2026

Magazines that died

So recently there was the passing of  arts + culture magazines The Face and 4Columns (both of which I had written for)

And then came the announcement of the acquisition / gutting of a bunch of music magazines by some horrible company – among them Alternative Press (which I once wrote for, a long time ago) and Goldmine

That was followed by a lament about the eroding future of music journalism as a full-time career from Jill Mapes at Hearing Things...  a piece much commented on elsewhere

So all this got me thinking in a downbeat sort of way about all the English-language popular music publications that expired during my professional life - i.e 1986 onwards.

I decided to make a list of the deceased (some theories of list-making say it’s a way of warding off the spectre of death!).

In what follows, I've been fairly thorough -  but rather negligent when it comes to the specialist end of things (country, soul, reggae, jazz etc …  I’ve also left out all the completely technical/musicians/recording type mags... and the music-biz trade papers… I'm strictly thinking about places that do criticism and interviews (Not that those are totally absent from the aforementioned categories but it's not their main thing). Actually another category left out is scholarly journals and academic publications. 

When it comes to the hazy dividing line between magazine and fanzine (or website versus collective blog)…. Well, I’ve been hazy about it: going really with the appearance of professionalism, regularity of output, and the possibility that some kind of payment to writers might be going on (even if not the case). Sort of, if it feels like a magazine, then it's a magazine.

But I've also let in quite a few publications that are not primarily music but had dedicated music sections or regular music criticism: Village Voice (however I’ve not listed all the alternative weeklies elsewhere in the USA),  certain general interest magazines; the UK style bibles; some art magazines. My purview is pretty much limited to the U.K. and U.S.A., so in terms of the Anglophonosphere I’m doubtless missing Canadian, Australian and New Zealand magazines of note.  

I suppose if any kind of instinct has governed this, it’s that I’ve gone here with magazines that I could

A/ conceivably have picked up and read

B/ conceivably found myself writing for in some circumstance.

Now there’s one or two magazines I distinctly remember but I simply cannot summon their name and attempts to Google creatively have come up with nothing… it’s really nagging at me! So I invite you tell me the ones I’ve missed, indicating whether they are still with us or not. 

Also tell me if  I have misfiled a publication, i.e. it's not dead but actually still around or it's not around, actually dead. (Before you get agitated though, I should say there is a separate section for Historic Titles - magazines that lived and died before I could have conceivably contributed to them).

Oh yes - I have also indicated the ones I have written for with an asterisk

 

MUSIC MAGAZINES NO LONGER WITH US

 

Melody Maker *

The Word *

Muzik *

Request *

Pulse! *

Lime Lizard

The Lizard *

Blender *

City Limits *

Details *

Red Bull Music Academy / Daily Note *

20/20 *

Loops *

Pitchfork Review  *

Volume *

Stylus *

eMusic *

Observer Music Monthly *

Arena*

The Face *

4Columns *

ZigZag

Smash Hits

New Society

Sounds

Record Mirror

Jockey Slut

Q

Select

Vox

Number One

Blitz

New Sounds, New Styles

Collusion

Careless Talk Costs Lives

URB

Option

Puncture

Flipside

Plan B

Ray Gun

Terrorizer

Arthur

Grand Royal

Ego Trip

Forced Exposure

The Rocket

The Herb Garden

Dummy

Deuce

Mondo 2000

Signal to Noise

 

Then to cheer us all up, I have listed publications that are still with us – starting with a couple of subcategories: the died but resurrected and those of uncertain ontological status (existing in some kind of hibernating or vestigial purely archival mode with some faint talk of reactivation)

 

RESURRECTED

Creem

 

UNCERTAIN ONTOLOGICAL STATUS 

Village Voice *

Alternative Press *

Goldmine

Tiny Mix Tapes


MUSIC MAGAZINES STILL WITH US


Pitchfork *

The Wire *

Mojo *

Uncut *

Spin *

The Quietus *

Rolling Stone *

Tidal *

iD *

New Statesman *

NPR music *

FACT *

Disco Pogo *

Frieze *

Time Out *

Artforum *

Quietus *

Electronic Beats *

Resident Advisor  *

Slate *

Salon *

NME

Vibe *

Clash

Vice / Noisey *

The Stranger

Hearing Things

Mixmag

DJ

The Source

Decibel

Record Collector

Electronic Sound

The Fader

Hot Press

Kerrang!

Magnet

Metal Hammer

Shindig!

Wax Poetics

Bandcamp

XXL

XLR8

Bandcamp

Straight No Chaser

Aquarium Drunkard

Big Takeover

Billboard

Complex

Louder Than War

No Depression

GQ style *

Oxford American

Paste

Revolver

Rock Sound

Stereogum

Dazed & Confused *

No Bells

Toneglow

Moonbuilding

Tape Op

 

I was pleasantly surprised how many there are still with us… 

 

HISTORIC TITLES 


Crawdaddy

Let It Rock

Cream (UK)

Cheetah

Phonograph Review

Street Life

Fusion

Slash

New York Rocker

(there's many more here I'm sure)

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 


Of course this is just the English language… one thing I have found in my travels is that every country seems to have its own equivalents to Greil Marcus or Nick Kent…. or indeed much younger examples.   Estonia… Argentina… Germany… Italy… France… Portugal… Scandinavia… Spain… Poland... wherever you go, you find a bunch of people, at varying ages,  who are operating at a high discursive level, and generally are aware of what’s going in the English music writing world. It’s an embarrassingly one-way transmission– they read us, but we can’t read them, and it does makes you feel like a hegemon.   They have their own local equivalents of NME and Rolling Stone (in some cases an actual version of Rolling Stone - like Rolling Stone Italia) and Pitchfork– like Spex in Germany. In other cases, the serious criticism is going on in newspapers or arts magazines.

But back to the main melancholy topic.... and faint thoughts of cheer 

It is encouraging that people are still putting out print magazines, that there are clusterings of energy around webzines… I hope it carries on…

(I can tell you, though, from my experience spending regular time in the company of young music lovers, that the reading of criticism is a vanishing pursuit. There is a combo of shattered attention spans and a reflexive distrust of expertise... I would say that for many of the young they would rather take seriously the opinion of some completely random person on Reddit or wherever, than an accredited authority figure )

But music criticism, music journalism - there's still some demand out there for it. 

Perhaps the action has shifted to books now - there seems to be an ongoing explosion of serious music books, and thank God for that (although I have also heard that it's a bubble caused by a demographic reaching a certain age and wanting to deepen the passions of their adolescence / youth... and that when this demographic dies out, or its brains turn to mush, this too will pass). Still, for now at least, it is a thriving area, as much as any area of non-fiction could be said to be thriving. People want to do it, some people still want to read it. 

Music books are great... I love to read them, Lord knows I love to write 'em. If it wasn't so exhausting, and practical logistics weren't involved, I would have churned out twice as many by now. 

But there is something about the ephemerality of music journalism that produces a lighter kind of writing, or at least, one that is nimbler, fleet of foot, less hung up on evidence or research, and above all with less eye on posterity…. 

And curiously this makes it actually more worthy of posterity, or at least being de-ephemeralized.

Which is the point of this blog – to take little bursts of mental energy, spurts of language frolic, mischief, thinking aloud… things that have been lost in the Heraclitan river of newsprint…  now and again blogprint or netprint… but mostly ink-on-paper... and pull them back out of oblivion

Rock’s Back Pages is doing that – God’s own work! – but in not as individually curated a way, by which I mean that sometimes I talk back to these pieces, or try to connect them to current concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment