Have to admit, I miss cranky geezers who are willing to be quoted talking shit about crap records. Everybody today is so inoffensive and humorless that even a minor slight is blown up on social media into a feud. Let's really give them something to talk about!
The source of the famous "trendy hippies" put-down of Human League.
Odd that as someone who covered Small Faces songs in the Pistols and also included them (i think, anyway) in his famous Capital Radio show of 1977, they are referred to as "Small Phaeces". (Great mispelling).
It's very much like his legendary appearance on Jukebox Jury where he's sour and unpleasant about every single record. Actually gets a bit grating as shtick after a while.
How many of these opinions are his honest thoughts? Judging from his general taste, I thought he'd be sympathetic to Suicide and the Desperate Bicycles.
Johnny gives the people what they want. I imagine he would've been digging righteous JA sounds to the exclusion of everything else at this time. I remember tuning in for the episode of Jukebox Jury, and the expectant tittering among the audience. Joan Collins was on it too, IIRC. Rotten was my role model around this time - him and Dennis the Menace.
-
"[The young British] see standards as inhibiting. I see them as defining.
They see tradition as deadening. I see it as nourishing. It may be that, as
an...
Peace Signs (Flash It)
-
Pure Gurley gorgeousness in this Rogue Unit mix
Such emotional subtlety to almost anything Steve Gurley touches
The other versions - nice 'n' slinky ...
Fisher-talk (and a bit of Retro-Talk)
-
People are constantly asking me for my thoughts on Mark Fisher.
Only a *slight* exaggeration.
It actually got a little wearisome and...
Bäck to the Future (det här var imorgon)
-
Released 1978, recorded at the start of the 1970s. Give it a listen, it's
immense
What blows my mind is that by the time this ca...
faves of the 2010s
-
(Tracks not full lengths)
Ke$ha – “We R Who We R”
Ke$ha - “Backstabber”
Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, "Round and Round"
Rangers – “Golden Triangles”...
Visual Music - a lecture, by me
-
*Visual Music - a talk at the Tate Modern, July 27 2018*
*Presented by 4:3 as part of the Uniqlo Tate Late series*
There is a subset of experimental ani...
angel delights
-
https://rada-ve.bandcamp.com/track/saturn-rings-songs
*Go on* - listen to that gorgeous bubble bath of synthtronica!
Another vintage release, with a vi...
Have to admit, I miss cranky geezers who are willing to be quoted talking shit about crap records. Everybody today is so inoffensive and humorless that even a minor slight is blown up on social media into a feud. Let's really give them something to talk about!
ReplyDeleteThe source of the famous "trendy hippies" put-down of Human League.
DeleteOdd that as someone who covered Small Faces songs in the Pistols and also included them (i think, anyway) in his famous Capital Radio show of 1977, they are referred to as "Small Phaeces". (Great mispelling).
It's very much like his legendary appearance on Jukebox Jury where he's sour and unpleasant about every single record. Actually gets a bit grating as shtick after a while.
How many of these opinions are his honest thoughts? Judging from his general taste, I thought he'd be sympathetic to Suicide and the Desperate Bicycles.
ReplyDeleteYeah I was surprised by the response to Suicide. desperate bicycles, less so
DeleteJohnny gives the people what they want. I imagine he would've been digging righteous JA sounds to the exclusion of everything else at this time. I remember tuning in for the episode of Jukebox Jury, and the expectant tittering among the audience. Joan Collins was on it too, IIRC. Rotten was my role model around this time - him and Dennis the Menace.
ReplyDelete